Friday, May 25, 2012

A Mini Makeover

Summer has officially arrived in the Burke household. Oh the joys of being teachers. Three months of bliss. Now that we're somewhat free, I thought I'd at least update the blog!

This mini makeover occurred a few months ago, but has yet the grace the pages of the internet.

Evan and I wanted a bench for our odd little kitchen nook, so we hunted one down in our favorite store, Craigslist. We came across this cutie and thought she could use an update.

Those odd floral butt pads had no cushion whatsoever, so the comfort factor had to be improved, not to mention the fabric reminded me of the embroidered purse my grandma had in her closet.

Thankfully my mother in law has a stockpile of fabric. We picked out a gray-ish pattern that was once used for curtains and got to work.


First, we cut the foam using a turkey knife. Seriously, it works so well.


We also didn't want the separate butt pads, so we just covered the whole thing. Made so much more sense to me!
Then we added the fabric and voila! Major transformation in about 20 minutes time. We may paint it some day--the wood isn't so pretty on the legs, but this project was done before we actually moved into the house, so we didn't want to make any rash decisions.
Oh and the original idea of her sitting in the kitchen didn't work. The proportions were all off. So we are still in search of something to fill our kitchen nook that will give us some storage and a place to drop all our stuff. This cutie ended up in living room underneath my favorite shutters and is lovingly accessorized with one of my mother in law's pillows. I like the mix of patterns and the fact that we only paid for the bench!! Yay for cheap and easy mini makeovers!




No comments:

Post a Comment