Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The First of Many

For the past 20 years or so Estes Park, Colorado has been a part of my life. A big part, actually.



We started taking our annual family vacation there when I was in elementary school, we quickly fell in love with the YMCA of the Rockies and just kept going.



Those trips form some of my fondest memories from my childhood.
Hiking.
Climbing.
Horse back riding.
Putt putt.
Wildlife sighting.





I am so thankful my parents exposed Laura and I to those essential elements in life: rest, simplicity, quiet.



Through the years, our activities have changed a bit. We're no longer spending a week at day camp singing songs about bumblebees and Pizza Hut. We don't spend as much time with the park rangers... because we already got our Junior Ranger badges. Oh yes....I have proof.



We've grown up. We have new interests. (See all these amazing photos as evidence of my dad's new found photography talent.) We bring spouses and dogs now!




But some things will always stay the same: Quality family time... Reflecting on God's truly amazing creation... LOVING cool weather in July... Realizing that life is pretty great without TV... My obsession with the Arts and Crafts Building...



Here's to dreaming about next summer... and the chocolate pie at the Baldpate.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I got to experience this place as a "kid" with you, and now, because it's wonderful and we do want to go back again and again. Methinks you guys will be bringing your family here for years to come...and that's awesome! Great pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing that will never change...the Vierling family looking like they belong in a frame at Hobby Lobby...BEAUTIFUL!!!

    And tell, D, his skillz are off the chain!!!

    js

    ReplyDelete